MicroStrategy Education eBooks

This past weekend, I received an update to my MicroStrategy Mobile client on my iPhone, so I started exploring through some of the examples.  I’m not sure how long they’ve been there, but I was surprised to see that just about every MicroStrategy Education course has it’s full course book available for free download.  They come in ePub format and can be viewed directly on your mobile device or transfered easily enough to your computer.  This presents a great opportunity for those new to MicroStrategy to gain some free training or to build a nice reference library for those already using the product.

If you have a vanilla install that hasn’t been configured to hit your own Mobile Server, then on the default home page is an option for ePub Books:

Tap that, and you’ll see a screen that allows you to download Basic and Advanced Courseware and Product Manuals.
Here are some of the courses that are available (they didn’t all fit on the screen at once, so there’s a couple more).

Tap on the Courseware you want to download:
Then tap Download.  If you want to view it right on your device, be sure to install the iBooks app first.  If you want to view it on a computer, you can install Dropbox and save it there.
View in iBooks or transfer to your computer with Dropbox

The books show up in your iBooks and can be read like normal.  They appear to be the full digital copies of the courseware.

My new iBooks Library
If you want to view them on your computer, you’ll need to install an ePub reader.  I installed Adobe Digital Editions (free) and it worked fine.
Web SDK Book in Adobe Digital Editions
This is a tremendously valuable resource for anyone new to MicroStrategy or those who haven’t completed all of the training courses they offer.  Even if you have, this serves as an incredible reference library.

1. Len O'Toole says:

Hey Bryan, All these training documents and product manuals are also included in the 921m version for the iPad. Pretty amazing that MSTR gives this unlimited access to their training manuals… On the iPad, they are located under “MicroStrategy Library”. Enjoy the reading… There is probably enough material out there to last you 25 years šŸ™‚

2. I still can’t believe that this is all free. Even as an MSTR employee, I couldn’t get access to paper or digital books. Glad to see that they’ve changed their minds.

3. rajesh b says:

Hi, Bryan. i want to do certification in Microstrategy. is there any possibility. let me know the process. and details regard this..

4. hemasarathy says:

HI..bryan..MSTR is my dream.I would like to study Microstrategy, i need some of the book materials..and just suggest me what version to be studied.

5. hemasarathy says:

I have gone through the books..which all you specified..guide me..with some specific authors..as a beginner ..

Unfortunately, there are no 3rd party books available on the subject. In fact, this post represents the first time I’m aware of that detailed content about MicroStrategy has been publicly available. This is all there is for the moment, but if you have an EDU or Corporate email account, you can sign up for the Free Reporting Suite which is a light version of MicroStrategy and play with it hands on.

6. hemasarathy says:

Thanku bryan. And i got “Microstrategy 9 MDX cube reporting guide.pdf” and “Version 9.2.1 Project design guide.pdf” files download is that preferable to learn theoretically?

7. Unknown says:

I downloaded the dashboard book, but it just appears white in Adobe Digital Editions. I see the left menu but no page contents display. I tried other epub readers, but all do the same. Any idea why?

8. Arvind says:

Could you please let me know if there is any other source from where we can access these e-books?

Arvind

9. Arvind says:

Thanks for the instant reply Bryan. Could you please educate me with how we can have the Microstrategy Mobile installed? Is it similar to buying a license from them just like how corporate companies do? Also, its a paid software how approximate would the cost be?

Warm Regards,
    Arvind

The app itself is free and access to these eBooks as described in this article is free too. Just download the app from the Apple or Android stores. It comes with a free demo, but it does require additional MicroStrategy licenses for connection to your own environment.

10. Amit Andre says:

I am actually looking for Advanced reporting using Microstrayegy Web.

Are there any books or step by step available for these. Please do mail me on amit.andre@gmail.com

11. sunil sunny says:

I want to learn Microstrategy.I am a regular visitor of your blog.I have gone through all the guides but a bit confused about starting with mstr basic reporting guide or mstr reporting essentials please suggest me the one to start off.

12. Kevin Auch says:

Hi brian,

Is there any otherway to download the ebooks than using iBooks ??

thanks

You could send them straight to something like Dropbox (which is an option in my screenshot), and then send them anywhere. They come out as PDFs.

13. Manas Pati says:

Bryan, Could you please send me dynaic dasboard pdf

14. chakravarthi says:

HI Bryan,

Could you please help me how to get this ebooks on my iPhone. The newest MicroStrategy App does not show any menu for ePub Books.

• bryan says:

I don’t have an iPhone anymore, but if they’ve removed the links, then that sucks. I’m not sure if they’re hosted anywhere else.

15. Vijay says:

Can you please help me in providing the below PDF’s if you have any of them.

MicroStrategy Administration: Application Management
    MicroStrategy Administration: Configuration and Security
    Microstrategy Architect: Advanced Project Design

I am really interested in learning the admin concepts but I am not able to get those PDF’s.

Thanks in advance.

16. Shaik says:

I wanted to lean how to customize Microstrategy Web using J2EE platform. Can you please help me in understanding the knowledge pre-requisites for giving a start. I know it requires java knowledge but wanted to understand which areas of expertise in Java? Also Please let me know if any other knowledge apart from Microstrategy Knowledge.

Thanks in Advance.

• bryan says:

I’ve done a little bit of that but it was a long time ago. It’s basically just run of the mill java, but the harder part is working with all of microstrategy’s classes and objects. Back in the day, documentation for that stuff was pretty poor. Not sure if it’s improved, but it probably hasn’t much.

1. December 19, 2015

[…] MicroStrategy Education eBooks – Bryan’s BI Blog ā€“ This past weekend, I received an update to my MicroStrategy Mobile client on my iPhone, so I started exploring through some of the examples. Iā€™m not sure how long … […]