Saved Prompt Answers

A feature that I don’t think gets a lot of press is the ability to save personal prompt answers.  This ability, in both Desktop and web, allows a user to store answers to a prompt under their profile.  I think this is an important feature to enable, especially if you use a lot of element prompts on large dimensions.  Loading a prompt answer from this saved list is instant and can shave several seconds off of the user’s time on the prompt page.  This leads to a faster user experience instead of having to wait for element prompt searches to return from the database.

Enabling Saved Prompt Answers
For some reason, this feature is off by default.  And unfortunately, there isn’t a project level setting or default to enable it.  The setting lives on each individual prompt and must be enabled individually.

Edit your prompt, and on the General Information screen, you’ll see a drop down option to enable Personal Answers.  Your options are None (default), Single and Multiple.  The difference between Single and Multiple is how many answers you’ll allow a user to store.  These don’t really take up any measurable amount of space, so I always go with Multiple.

Usage
Once enabled, *any* report that uses that Prompt object will now have the saved list enabled and share the list across them.

The prompt will have a new option to save the answer (highlighted above) and checking this box will enable the option.

You can give it any name you want, and then whatever you have added to your prompt when you run the report will be saved in the future.  You also have the option to set this answer as the Default, which again will default for every report that uses this prompt object.  When you run another report with this prompt, you’ll see a new option to Load Answers.

Clicking this button will give you a quick pick list of your previous answers that you’ve saved.

Click More options… to delete answers.

Additional Tips

• Even for Developers, this is a great feature to use.  I use it constantly when building/testing reports. It’s very convenient to zip through a screen of prompts with my set of testing answers.
  • A common question is whether or not these answers can be copied/transfered.  Unfortunately, the answer is no (as of 9.2.1).
  • If you want an interface to manage these in bulk, check out this TechNote to manage them from Desktop.

1. Eddy says:

Hey Bryan,
    When we run report, it displays all metrics but when we save it and run it again it shows just few metrics in report both modes run and design mode.
    Kindly help me out,

2. Eddy says:

I have 20 metrics on my report and one attribute prompt also available in column with metrics but when i first run and then save the report with the prompted answers is works fine but when i try to re execute that report it just show 10 metrics.

3. Thirumalai says:

I have a scenario like, where we use distribution service to subscribe users to reports.

So there is one admin user who on behalf of some users will subscribe reports for them, so can we have personal answers for those subscribed users, because when I tried what is happening was, since the admin user subscribes the reports for the end users, the admin user is owning the prompts and If I change the prompt answer for one user as 30, the same is getting reflected for the second user, Do we have any alternative method to fix this ?

The admin user will use MSTR web to subscribe for the end users, and he will personalize the subscribed reports there for the users.

The personalized prompt answers in this post can be used when setting up subscriptions, but mostly they’re handy for running reports as the user. Subscription preferences are stored individually with the subscription, even if a saved prompt answer was used to set it up. It sounds like what may be happening is you’ve got 1 subscription being sent to multiple users and there may be something getting mixed up when doing individual personalization from there (I haven’t seen that happen though). I’d suggest creating separate subscriptions per user, and then the prompt answers are stored locally with the sub and not related to the user at all.

• Thirumalai says:

Yes Bryan, You are correct that we try to use single subscription for multiple users. I think we need to create single subscription per user.

Thanks Bryan 🙂

4. Thirumalai says:

The end users in this case are LDAP users, and they don’t have access to MSTR Desktop.

5. harsh kumar says:

Is it possible to set the initial state of the “Save this answer…” to be checked? In my case we have 12 odd prompts on a document, and we do not want end user to check each of the check boxes.

thanks,